4 months ago I was holiday-ing with my family in a beautiful town on the west coast of Italy: Sorrento. The gateway to the Amalfi Coast. The holiday was, truthfully, a foodie dream come true. Every single day I was greeted with the sight of bountiful market vegetables on the street stalls and consumed plenty of freshly baked bread, pasta, grilled vegetable platters, gelato and of course, stone-baked pizzas.
Granted, when it was time to leave, I was pretty upset. The last lunch before we came back to the UK was probably the best I experienced whilst in Sorrento; I had the most delicious asparagus soup and I’ve wanted to re-create it ever since. This week there was a large bunch of tender asparagus spears in my fridge just begging to be blended into creamy goodness but there were also numerous green veggies that needed to be used up… so I chucked those in the pot too.
Goodbye asparagus soup, hello green veg soup. You could say that this was a clean-out-the-fridge dinner of sorts, but those meals are my favourite kinds of meals. Homely. Satisfying. Delicious.
GREEN VEGETABLE SOUP
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 150g spinach
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 400ml coconut or almond milk
- 1 small courgette, sliced
- A large handful fresh coriander
- 200g broccoli florets
- 200g asparagus
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Water or extra non-dairy milk to thin
- Melt 1 tbsp coconut oil in a large saucepan until hot. Add the onion, garlic and spinach and sauté until the onions are soft and the spinach has wilted.
- Add the coconut milk and the rest of the ingredients: courgette, broccoli, asparagus, lemon juice and coriander.
- Simmer, covered, on a medium-high heat until all the vegetables are cooked through – around 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor and blitz until completely smooth. Add more milk or water to thin until the soup reaches a desired consistency.
- Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, coriander and finely grated lemon zest.