A quick post to say two things.
One: Happy early Mothers Day to my wonderful mum (I would post this tomorrow but busy, busy). I wrote you a poem, but I apologise because it’s hard to express how much I love you in a single sonnet (see below).
Two: Put down the cereal box. Put it down. Make this. Thank me later.
FOR MY MOTHER
First sight – a woman with tawny tresses
Framing her clement, sagacious detail.
Passion only a mother possesses;
Extant as turquoise where ships do sail.
Focus further – a core of arrant gold
Which will divulge upon exigency,
Remaining tender as her heart does hold
The red-wine jewel with such proficiency.
A solitary touch dispels all doubt;
A sole embrace kindles fondness and flight.
A demeanour of maternal devout
That radiates her incandescent light.
A ceaseless warrior battling my pain,
My mother, my guide on broken terrain.
COCO & HAZEL – NUT GRANOLA
- 100g whole rolled oats
- 10g desiccated coconut
- 25g hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp agave nectar, maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- A handful of pumpkin seeds (or you can use dried apricots, another nut or seed, chopped dark chocolate… the possibilities are endless!)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C.
- Roughly chop the hazelnuts (or bash them with a rolling pin if you’re impatient like myself).
- In a bowl, mix together the oats, coconut, hazelnuts, sweetener and melted coconut oil.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and spread the oat-mixture evenly over it.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes to ensure that it bakes evenly and prevent some areas from burning.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before mixing in the pumpkin seeds and transferring into a jar or a sealed container, in which it will keep fresh in the cupboard for up to a week.
I like to eat mine ‘parfait’ style: layered between slices of banana and coyo (coconut dairy free yoghurt, available in most local supermarkets).