Oh, Spring! Promise me you’ll bring longer, warmer days and I will be welcoming your return with open arms.
A changing of the seasons means, inevitably, a fresh outlook on food. Winter fare has gifted us with hearty stews, soups and dinners; with piping hot mugs of coffee to defrost our gelid bodies. Winter has been a numbing few months, hence the prospect of Spring and the abundance of in-season produce congests me with excitement.
Spring is possibly my favourite time of the year in terms of food. The season bestows us with a pleasant temperature; allowing for refreshing, revitalising nutriment. Salads replace soups for lunch, smoothies and yoghurt bowls supersede our mornings formerly sustained with creamy porridge and dinners become lighter affairs with tender fillets of oven-baked fish accompanied by an array of readily-available vegetables.
I would be hard pushed to label this salad as a recipe. It is ridiculously simple to put together yet the flavours coalesce so nectareously that I couldn’t help but share it with you all. Now, obviously raspberries and sweet potatoes aren’t in season… but let’s just appreciate a lunchtime salad to welcome Spring and wholesome, organic eating.
RASPBERRY, ROCKET & AGAVE ROASTED SWEET POTATO SALAD (serves 1)
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tbsp agave nectar (or use maple syrup/honey)
- 1/2 tbsp olive, avocado or coconut oil
- Handful fresh raspberries
- Wild rocket leaves
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Handful pine nuts
- Balsamic vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into chunks and combine in a bowl with agave and choice of oil until all pieces are coated. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Toss rocket leaves with lemon juice and lay on a plate. Top with the roasted sweet potato, fresh raspberries and pine nuts. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and serve.