I have all the tell-tale symptoms of a sleep-deprived, work afflicted A Level student. A litigious temperament. Dull, zombie-like eyes. Exorbitant fingernail biting. Gorging on almond butter straight from the jar with a teaspoon at 6.30am. Unpredicted bouts of sobbing, shouting and uncontrollable laughter. Think Dr Evil style.
I cede to the pressures of Sixth Form. Please, don’t even get me started on thinking about university. I have been sessile to my laptop, plonking on the keys with heavy hands, squinting at jumbled coursework words that probably make no sense. My raccoon-eyed sixteen year-old self was begging for a break. So naturally I dragged my decrepit body out from underneath the messy mound of blankets and essays to make granola bars. Granola bars make the world a better place.
ALMOND BUTTER GRANOLA BARS
- 1 very ripe banana
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 3 tbsp agave nectar
- 100g rolled oats
- 30g crushed pistachios
- 2 tbsp bee pollen
- 50g fresh pomegranate seeds
- Blend banana, almond butter and agave in a food processor until smooth.
- Fold almond butter mixture into the oats, then add pistachios, bee pollen and pomegranate seeds.
- Spread mixture into a lined loaf tin and bake for 30 mins at 180C.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin before slicing into individual bars.